Keeping your kids on track can sometimes feel like an overwhelming challenge—no matter what you do or which parenting style you try. If you’re struggling with tantrums, arguments, and attitudes from your kids at home or you’re simply tired of nagging, you’re not alone.
Parents often nag or over-focus on correction for undesirable behavior. What if there is a better, more constructive way to bring out the best in your child?
The HONORABLE CHARACTER™ system for kids takes a unique approach. Our character-focused, money management home behavior chart provides parents a tangible tool for consistent, constructive habit training, rather than focusing on the negative.
Do Home Use Behavior Charts Work?
Studies do suggest that “sticker charts” or home use behavior charts for kids do work.1 Like any reward system or behavioral tool, they need to be used consistently to be effective, and each child is motivated differently and by different ways of recognizing their achievements.
If you have tried charts and checklists in the past, or heard from other parents that they do not work, it is likely that communication was lacking or the principles of positive reinforcement were not fully embraced. Using positive reinforcement charts at home is most successful when parents or caregivers keep these tips in mind:
- Behavior charts are intended to recognize desired behaviors and track improvements. They should not be used to keep track of mistakes or shame the child.
- Home use behavior charts for kids need to be used consistently and posted in a prominent place.
- Behavior charts communicate visually, in a fun and empowering way, just how often the child demonstrates the qualities and behaviors that society rewards and values.
- Using a reward chart is different from bribery. Working toward a reward or a goal is one of the primary motivators for all human beings to change or modify their behavior.
- Rewards should be both immediate and delayed; perhaps a hug for immediate reinforcement of desired behaviors and a toy or outing when reaching a specific goal.
- Setting age-appropriate goals, both immediate and delayed, are a key to success with the behavior chart; perhaps a hug for immediate reinforcement or an outing when reaching a specific goal.
- Expectations should be clearly stated and be based on where the child is now, with achievable steps and recognition of improvements in weekly behavior.
- Not all home use behavior charts for kids are created with sound teaching principles in mind, so be cautious using free printable charts you might find online.
- Behavior charts are effective for children of all ages and can even be used to help with potty training or to improve toddler behavior or can even be used to help older children work toward age- appropriate goals like buying a teenager's first car.
Finding a Professional Homeschool Behavior Chart for Children
One effective approach is to use the same type of behavior chart for kids at home that is used to address behavior problems in professional classroom management systems. These systems help children to learn how to control and improve their own behavior in the school and classroom.
One of the best options is the HONORABLE CHARACTER™ Home Set. Much more than just a chore chart, the Honorable Character system includes home use behavior charts that will help your child with behavioral challenges and improve their self-esteem and confidence.
Here’s how Honorable Character behavior charts work:
- Catch your child exhibiting the traits highlighted on the HONORABLE CHARACTER™ Chart. There are 14 traits for elementary and middle school kids and 6 for preschoolers. All traits are based on universally valued moral principles like respect, kindness, and responsibility.
- Acknowledge commendable behaviors with words of affirmation (and maybe a hug!)
- Chart your child’s positive behavior on our easy-to-use, colorful recording charts.
Kids need clear, written goals. Our positive behavior chart for the home is a fun, visual way to track their progress from day to day and over time.
Why the HONORABLE CHARACTER™ System Works
Change the atmosphere of your home with HONORABLE CHARACTER™.
- It builds character. Kids learn the importance of universally valued traits like responsibility and cooperation. The HONORABLE CHARACTER™ system helps them master these traits so they can grow into emotionally centered, empathic adults.
- It provides immediate feedback. With the HC behavior chart, kids get feedback about their positive behaviors on the spot. They can see how well they’re doing just by glancing at the chart and spot which traits they may need to work on demonstrating more often.
- It motivates kids in a constructive way. Too much focus on negative or undesirable behaviors can make children feel bad or unworthy. The HONORABLE CHARACTER™ system helps parents focus on the positive. The system incorporates social-emotional learning, which equips children with the tools they need to effectively manage their emotions. Children who know how to manage their emotions are better at navigating relationships and controlling their behavior.
Change the Atmosphere of Your Home with HONORABLE CHARACTER™
Kids who use the HONORABLE CHARACTER™ system are less likely to act out in disruptive ways, tend to perform better academically, and have improved attitudes. It’s why HC is used in thousands of homes and classrooms across the country.
This home behavior improvement set was adapted from the highly successful Honorable Character Classroom Management System to bring the same mindset and consistent framework for developing habits of character into your children's hearts. Our behavior charts focus on positive behavior and help eliminate negative discipline habits.
The Home Set from HC has these benefits:
- Teaching monetary principles such as saving, sharing, spending, and delayed gratification while working toward age-appropriate goals.
- Improving sibling relationships by fostering empathy and understanding.
- Enhancing parent/child relationships by eliminating anger, frustration, and punishments.
The system helps you build relationships based on trust, love, and respect. For kids, it lays out clearly defined traits to strive toward. For parents, it provides constructive focus and a framework to guide children’s behavior—without nagging.
If you would like to learn more about classroom-proven behavior charts specifically designed for home use, contact us or read more about all the Honorable Character systems. No matter what systems you have used in the past, this complete set of resources and charts will help you turn things in a positive direction.